- ½ (8 oz) blockcheddar cheese
- 2 (14.5 oz) cansdiced tomatoes
- 2 clovesgarlic
- 2jalapeño peppers
- 2 (15 oz) canskidney beans
- ½ cuppolenta (cornmeal)
- 2red bell peppers
- 2 tbsptomato paste
- 4 fl ozwhole milk
- 1 mediumyellow onion
-  all-purpose flour
-  baking powder
-  black pepper
-  brown sugar
-  butter, unsalted
-  chili powder
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Wash and small dice bell peppers. Peel and mince garlic. Peel and small dice onion.
2 red bell peppers 2 cloves garlic 1 medium yellow onion
- 3Wash and quarter the jalapeños lengthwise; seed and remove ribs with a spoon. Finely mince. (Be careful, with jalapeños, do not touch your eyes and ensure you wash your hands after handling or wear gloves while preparing).
2 jalapeño peppers
- 4Preheat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- 5Once the skillet is hot, add butter and swirl to coat the bottom.
2 tsp butter, unsalted
- 6Add bell peppers, garlic, onion, and jalapeños to the skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 4-6 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans.
2 (15 oz) cans kidney beans
- 8Add beans, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and spices to the skillet. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the cornbread batter.
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes ⅔ cup water 2 tbsp tomato paste 2 tsp chili powder 2 tsp oregano 1 tsp cumin 1 tsp salt ½ tsp black pepper
- 9Melt butter in a microwave or saucepan. Once melted, add to a medium bowl.
¼ cup butter, unsalted
- 10Add milk and eggs to the bowl with the butter and whisk to combine. In a separate medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
4 fl oz (½ cup) whole milk 2 eggs ½ cup polenta (cornmeal) ½ cup all-purpose flour ¼ cup brown sugar ½ tsp baking powder ½ tsp salt
- 11Coarsely grate cheddar.
½ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese
- 12Sprinkle cheese over the bean mixture. Pour cornbread batter on top and smooth into a thin layer with a spatula.
- 13Place skillet in the oven and bake until cornbread is golden and cooked through, 20-22 minutes.
- 14To serve, divide chili and cornbread between bowls and enjoy!