- ¼ (8 oz) blockcheddar cheese
- 1 (14.5 oz) candiced tomatoes
- 1 clovegarlic
- 1jalapeño pepper
- 1 (15 oz) cankidney beans
- ¼ cuppolenta (cornmeal)
- 1red bell pepper
- 1 tbsptomato paste
- 2 fl ozwhole milk
- ½ mediumyellow onion
-  all-purpose flour
-  baking powder
-  black pepper
-  brown sugar
-  butter, unsalted
-  chili powder
- 1Preheat oven to 400°F.
- 2Wash and small dice bell pepper. Peel and mince garlic. Peel and small dice onion.
1 red bell pepper 1 clove garlic ½ medium yellow onion
- 3Wash and quarter the jalapeño lengthwise; seed and remove ribs with a spoon. Finely mince. (Be careful, with jalapeños, do not touch your eyes and ensure you wash your hands after handling or wear gloves while preparing).
1 jalapeño pepper
- 4Preheat a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- 5Once the skillet is hot, add butter and swirl to coat the bottom.
1 tsp butter, unsalted
- 6Add bell pepper, garlic, onion, and jalapeño to the skillet; cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3-5 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile, drain and rinse beans.
1 (15 oz) can kidney beans
- 8Add beans, tomatoes, water, tomato paste, and spices to the skillet. Reduce heat to low and cook, stirring occasionally, while you prepare the cornbread batter.
1 (14.5 oz) can diced tomatoes ⅓ cup water 1 tbsp tomato paste 1 tsp chili powder 1 tsp oregano ½ tsp cumin ½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 9Melt butter in a microwave or saucepan. Once melted, add to a medium bowl.
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 10Add milk and egg to the bowl with the butter and whisk to combine. In a separate medium bowl, stir together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add wet ingredients to the bowl with the dry ingredients and stir to combine.
2 fl oz (¼ cup) whole milk 1 egg ¼ cup polenta (cornmeal) ¼ cup all-purpose flour 2 tbsp brown sugar ¼ tsp baking powder ¼ tsp salt
- 11Coarsely grate cheddar.
¼ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese
- 12Sprinkle cheese over the bean mixture. Pour cornbread batter on top and smooth into a thin layer with a spatula.
- 13Place skillet in the oven and bake until cornbread is golden and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- 14To serve, divide chili and cornbread between bowls and enjoy!