- ½ medium headcauliflower
- ½ lbcremini mushrooms
- ½ small pkgfresh basil
- 3 clovesgarlic
- 1 ½ ozParmesan cheese
- 5 ozpenne pasta
- ½ mediumred onion
- 6 tbsptomato paste
-  butter, unsalted
-  crushed red pepper
- 1Fill a medium saucepan halfway with hot water (from the tap), cover, and bring to a boil. Uncover, add salt and pasta, and stir for a few seconds. Cook until desired firmness, 8-10 minutes. (Reserve 1 cup of pasta cooking water before draining.)
1 tsp salt 5 oz penne pasta
- 2Meanwhile, wash and dry the fresh produce.
½ lb cremini mushrooms ½ medium head cauliflower ½ small pkg fresh basil
- 3Mince mushrooms and place in a medium bowl.
- 4Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 5While the skillet heats up, peel and small dice onion.
½ medium red onion
- 6Once the skillet is hot, add butter and swirl to coat the bottom. Add mushrooms, onion, and salt to the skillet; cook, stirring often, until veggies brown and soften, about 8 minutes.
2 tbsp butter, unsalted ¾ tsp salt
- 7Meanwhile, cut the cauliflower head into quarters, then trim off and discard leaves and thick stem. Using a box grater or food processor, coarsely grate the cauliflower and transfer to the bowl used for the mushrooms.
- 8Peel and mince garlic; add to the bowl with the cauliflower.
3 cloves garlic
- 9Add tomato paste, rosemary, and crushed red pepper to the bowl.
6 tbsp tomato paste 1 tsp rosemary ⅛ tsp crushed red pepper
- 10Add cauliflower mixture to the skillet with the mushrooms and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium and continue to cook, stirring often, until cauliflower is soft and tomato paste becomes fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- 11Meanwhile, finely grate Parmesan.
1 ½ oz Parmesan cheese
- 12Add pasta, reserved cooking water, and Parmesan to the skillet (reserving some cheese for garnish); stir to combine. Continue to cook, stirring often, until the sauce thickens, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 13Pick basil leaves off the stems, roll up crosswise, and thinly slice into ribbons. Stir basil into the pasta (reserving some for garnish).
- 14To serve, divide pasta between bowls or plates; garnish with reserved Parmesan and basil. Enjoy!