- ⅔ cupbasmati rice
- 1 (15 oz) canblack beans
- ¼ (8 oz) blockcheddar cheese
- ½ small bunchcilantro
- ½ cupfrozen corn
- 1 clovegarlic
- ½jalapeño pepper
- ½ (8 oz) cantomato sauce
- ½ mediumyellow onion
-  chili powder
-  extra virgin olive oil
- 1Peel and small dice onion. Place half in a small bowl and set aside for the pico de gallo.
½ medium yellow onion
- 2Peel and mince garlic.
1 clove garlic
- 3Preheat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- 4Once the saucepan is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add rice, onion, and spices; cook, stirring constantly, until onions are soft and rice is golden and toasted (you should hear a slight sizzle and pop from the rice), about 3 minutes.
1 ½ tsp extra virgin olive oil ⅔ cup basmati rice ½ tsp chili powder ¼ tsp cumin
- 5Add garlic, water, corn, tomato sauce, and salt to the saucepan and bring to a boil over high heat. Once the liquid comes to a boil, stir, cover, and reduce the heat to low. Cook the rice until liquid is fully absorbed, 18-20 minutes.
1 ½ cup water ½ cup frozen corn ½ (8 oz) can tomato sauce ½ tsp salt
- 6Meanwhile, wash and dry the fresh produce.
½ lime ½ jalapeño pepper 1 tomato ½ small bunch cilantro ½ avocado
- 7Juice lime into the bowl with the onion.
- 8Quarter jalapeño pepper lengthwise; seed and remove ribs of the jalapeño with a spoon. Finely mince and add to the bowl with the onion. (Be careful, with jalapeños, do not touch your eyes and ensure you wash your hands after handling or wear gloves while preparing.)
- 9Small dice tomato. Shave cilantro leaves off the stems; discard the stems and mince the leaves. Add to the bowl along with salt, and stir to combine the pico de gallo. Set aside.
¼ tsp salt
- 10Grate the cheese.
¼ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese
- 11Halve and pit the avocado. Slice thinly while still in skin, then scoop out with a spoon.
- 12Drain and rinse the beans in a colander.
1 (15 oz) can black beans
- 13When the rice is done, add beans to the saucepan and stir to combine.
- 14To serve, divide rice and bean mixture between bowls or plates. Top with pico de gallo, cheese, and avocado. Enjoy!