- 2 mediumcarrots
- 946 mlchicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small bunchcilantro
- 1 (398 ml) cancoconut milk
- 2 clovesgarlic
- 2 (2 ½ cm) piecesginger root
- 1 (398 ml) canpure pumpkin purée
- 2 mediumyellow onions
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
-  cayenne pepper
-  virgin coconut oil
- 1Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Meanwhile, peel and small dice onion. Trim off and discard the root ends of the garlic and press or mince.
2 medium yellow onions 2 cloves garlic
- 3Once the pot is hot, add coconut oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the onion and garlic to the pot.
2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 4Wash and peel the carrots, then trim off the ends. Using a box grater, coarsely grate and add to pot.
2 medium carrots
- 5Wash the cilantro and shave the cilantro leaves off the stems. Chop the stems into small pieces and add to the pot. Mince the leaves and set half aside for garnish, add the rest to the pot.
1 small bunch cilantro
- 6Season mixture with salt and pepper. Cook until all vegetables have softened, 3-4 minutes.
4.93 ml salt 2.465 ml black pepper
- 7Reduce heat to low. Wash, peel and mince or grate the ginger. Add to the pot.
2 (2 ½ cm) pieces ginger root
- 8Add pumpkin, honey and cayenne pepper, stirring to combine.
1 (398 ml) can pure pumpkin purée 2 tbsp honey ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 9Shake can of coconut milk vigorously before opening. Add to the soup, reserving a few tablespoons for garnish.
1 (398 ml) can coconut milk
- 10Add broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes.
946 ml chicken or vegetable broth
- 11Meanwhile, melt butter and oil over medium heat in a small saucepan.
2 tbsp butter, unsalted 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 12Peel and thinly slice the shallots into rings. Add to pan breaking up as you go.
- 13Turn heat up to medium-high. Cook until shallots are starting to darken around the edges, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low and continue to cook until golden brown and crispy, 2 to 3 minutes more. Watch carefully as they can burn easily.
- 14Transfer shallots to a paper towel-lined plate and discard oil. Season with a pinch of salt.
1.2325 ml salt
- 15Using an immersion (hand) blender, purée the soup until smooth.
- 16Wash and cut the lime into wedges.
- 17To serve, ladle soup into bowls. Top with a swirl of coconut milk, crispy shallots, cilantro leaves and a squeeze of lime. Enjoy!