- 1 (5 oz) pkgbaby spinach
- ½ cupbasmati rice
- 4 fl ozchicken or vegetable broth
- ¾ lbchicken thighs, boneless skinless
- 2 small pkgsfresh basil
- 2 clovesgarlic
- 1jalapeño pepper
-  brown sugar
-  extra virgin olive oil
-  fish sauce
-  soy sauce
- 1Using a strainer or colander, rinse the rice under cold, running water, then drain and transfer to a small saucepan. Add water and bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
½ cup basmati rice 1 cup water
- 2Wash and dry the fresh produce. (Skip the spinach if it came pre-washed.)
1 jalapeño pepper 1 (5 oz) pkg baby spinach 2 small pkgs fresh basil
- 3In a medium bowl, combine the broth, soy sauce, fish sauce, and brown sugar. Whisk to combine the sauce and set aside.
4 fl oz (½ cup) chicken or vegetable broth 2 tbsp soy sauce 2 tsp fish sauce 2 tsp brown sugar
- 4Once the liquid comes to a boil, stir the mixture, cover the saucepan, and reduce the heat to low. Cook the rice until the liquid is fully absorbed, 15-18 minutes. Once done, remove the rice from the heat and let it stand, still covered, for 5 minutes.
- 5Roughly chop the chicken thighs into ½-inch pieces.
¾ lb chicken thighs, boneless skinless
- 6Peel and mince the garlic and shallot. Quarter the jalapeño pepper lengthwise; seed and remove ribs of the jalapeño with a spoon. Finely dice and set aside. (Be careful, with jalapeños, do not touch your eyes and ensure you wash your hands after handling or wear gloves while preparing).
2 cloves garlic 1 shallot
- 7Heat a large skillet over high heat.
- 8Once the skillet is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 9Add chicken and stir-fry for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic, shallot, and jalapeño. Continue cooking on high heat for 2-3 more minutes, stirring often.
- 10Chop the baby spinach into small pieces.
- 11Pour the sauce into the skillet. Cook on high, stirring often, until the sauce thickens and glazes the meat, 8-12 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 12Pick basil leaves off the stems, roll up crosswise, and thinly slice into ribbons. Reserve a few leaves for garnish.
- 13Add the baby spinach (one handful at a time) and basil to the skillet and stir until wilted.
- 14To serve, divide the rice and chicken between bowls. Garnish with reserved basil and enjoy!