- 2 mediumcarrots
- 1183 mlchicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small bunchcilantro
- 1 cupfrozen peas
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 2 (2 ½ cm) piecesginger root
- 1green bell pepper
- 1 mediumred onion
- 4 mediumred potatoes
- 4 tbsptomato paste
- 4whole grain buns or rolls
-  brown sugar
-  butter, unsalted
-  cayenne pepper
-  chili powder
-  curry powder
- 1Wash and dry the fresh produce.
4 medium red potatoes 2 medium carrots 1 green bell pepper 2 (2 ½ cm) pieces ginger root 4 tomatoes 1 lime 1 small bunch cilantro
- 2Peel and small dice potatoes and carrots. Seed and small dice bell pepper. Transfer veggies to a large pot.
- 3Add broth, sugar, and salt to the pot; stir to combine, then scrape down the edges of the pot so that veggies are submerged. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium and simmer until potatoes and carrots are fork-tender, about 15 minutes.
946 ml chicken or vegetable broth 1 tsp brown sugar ½ tsp salt
- 4Meanwhile, preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- 5While the skillet heats up, peel and small dice onion.
1 medium red onion
- 6Once the skillet is hot, add butter and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the onion (reserving a handful for garnish) and cook, stirring occasionally, until it begins to soften, about 5 minutes.
¼ cup butter, unsalted
- 7Meanwhile, peel and mince ginger and garlic; add both to the skillet with the onion. Continue to cook, stirring often, until soft and fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4 cloves garlic
- 8Small dice tomatoes.
- 9Add tomatoes, additional broth, peas, tomato paste, and spices to the skillet. Continue to cook, stirring often, until sauce thickens and peas are heated through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
237 ml chicken or vegetable broth 1 cup frozen peas 4 tbsp tomato paste 4 tsp curry powder 4 tsp chili powder 1 tsp salt ½ tsp cinnamon ⅛ tsp cayenne pepper
- 10Once the potatoes and carrots in the pot are tender, remove from heat. Use a potato masher to gently crush the veggies, forming a textured mash. Transfer the tomato sauce to the pot and mash once more to combine.
- 11Return veggie mash to the stove over medium-high heat. Continue to cook, stirring often, until slightly thickened, 3-4 minutes.
- 12Meanwhile, cut lime into wedges and set aside.
- 13Shave cilantro leaves off the stems; discard stems and mince the leaves. Add cilantro to the vegetable mash (reserving a handful for garnish) and stir to combine. Remove from heat.
- 14Toast rolls if desired, and spread with butter.
4 whole grain buns or rolls 2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 15Divide veggie mash between plates and top with more butter. Serve with onion, cilantro, lime wedges, and buttered rolls. Enjoy!
4 tsp butter, unsalted