- 2 (398 ml) cansdiced tomatoes
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 0.68 kgground turkey
- 1 small bunchItalian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 1 (227 g) blockmozzarella cheese
- 28 gParmesan cheese
- ½ mediumred onion
- 4whole grain buns or rolls
-  black pepper
-  brown sugar
-  crushed red pepper
-  extra virgin olive oil
-  Italian seasoning
-  panko bread crumbs
- 1Preheat oven to 205°C (400°F).
- 2Wash and dry parsley. Shave leaves off the stems; discard the stems and mince the leaves. Place half in a large bowl, reserving the rest for garnish.
1 small bunch Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- 3Peel and mince onion and garlic. Transfer both to the bowl with the parsley.
½ medium red onion 2 cloves garlic
- 4Add turkey, eggs, bread crumbs, and spices to the bowl with the parsley and mix with your hands until well combined.
0.68 kg ground turkey 2 eggs ⅓ cup panko bread crumbs 1 tsp Italian seasoning ½ tsp salt ½ tsp black pepper
- 5Coat a large baking dish with a thin layer of oil. Using a tablespoon measure, form the meat mixture into rounded meatballs and place in the dish. Place the dish in the oven and bake until cooked through, 15-18 minutes.
1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 6Meanwhile, peel additional garlic and place in a blender.
2 cloves garlic
- 7Drain tomatoes and add to the blender along with sugar and spices. Blend on high until almost smooth.
2 (398 ml) cans diced tomatoes 2 tsp brown sugar 1 tsp Italian seasoning ½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8Combine tomato purée and oil in a large pot over medium-low heat; cook, stirring often, until sauce is thick and garlic is cooked through, 5-8 minutes.
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 9Meanwhile, coarsely grate mozzarella; finely grate Parmesan. Transfer both to a medium bowl and toss to combine; set aside.
1 (227 g) block mozzarella cheese 28 g Parmesan cheese
- 10When the meatballs are done, carefully transfer them to the pot with the tomato sauce; stir to combine.
- 11Set oven temperature to broil on high.
- 12Split the rolls in half and place on a large baking sheet pan, cut-side facing up. Place in the oven and cook until lightly toasted, 1-2 minutes. Remove from the oven.
4 whole grain buns or rolls
- 13Set the tops of the rolls aside, leaving the bottoms on the baking sheet pan. Sprinkle bottom of rolls with half of the cheese. Divide meatballs and sauce between the rolls and top with remaining cheese. Place in the oven and broil to melt the cheese, about 1 minute.
- 14To serve, sprinkle reserved parsley and crushed red pepper over each sandwich. Close sandwiches and divide between plates. Enjoy!
¼ tsp crushed red pepper