- ½English cucumber
- 2 clovesgarlic
- ⅓ (8 oz) blockmozzarella cheese
- 2 capsportobello mushrooms
- ½ headromaine lettuce
- 2whole grain buns or rolls
- 1 mediumyellow onion
-  balsamic vinegar
-  Dijon mustard
-  extra virgin olive oil
-  garlic powder
-  Italian seasoning
- 1Peel, halve, and thinly slice the onion into half rings.
1 medium yellow onion
- 2Preheat a small saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Once the pan is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add onions and salt; cook, stirring occasionally, until soft and caramelized, 15-20 minutes.
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil ¼ tsp salt
- 4Meanwhile, wash and dry the fresh produce.
2 caps portobello mushrooms ½ head romaine lettuce 1 tomato ½ English cucumber
- 5Peel and mince garlic; place in a large bowl along with oil, vinegar, and Italian seasoning. Whisk to combine the marinade.
2 cloves garlic 1 ½ tbsp extra virgin olive oil 1 ½ tbsp balsamic vinegar 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 6Remove mushroom stems and carefully scrape out the gills. Add to the bowl with the marinade and turn to coat. Set aside.
- 7Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 8While the skillet heats up, combine mayo, oil, Dijon, garlic powder, and salt in a small bowl. Whisk to combine the aioli and set aside.
2 tbsp mayonnaise 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil ½ tsp Dijon mustard ¼ tsp garlic powder ¼ tsp salt
- 9Once the skillet is hot, add mushrooms and cook until soft, 3-5 minutes per side. (Reserve bowl with leftover marinade for the next step.) When mushrooms are cooked, slice the cheese, place on top of mushroom caps, and reduce heat to low. Cover and let cook until cheese melts, 2-3 minutes. Remove from heat.
⅓ (8 oz) block mozzarella cheese
- 10Meanwhile, add oil, vinegar, honey, Dijon, and salt to the bowl with leftover marinade. Whisk to combine the dressing.
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 2 tsp balsamic vinegar ½ tsp honey ½ tsp Dijon mustard ⅛ tsp salt
- 11Separate the lettuce leaves. Set aside 1 large leaf per burger; chop or tear remaining leaves into bite-sized pieces and add to the bowl with the dressing.
- 12Medium dice half of the tomato and add to the salad bowl. Thinly slice remaining tomato and set aside.
- 13Trim and medium dice the cucumber; add to the bowl and toss to combine the salad.
- 14Toast buns if desired. Spread aioli on bottom half of each bun; layer with reserved lettuce, tomato, mushrooms, and caramelized onions. Close with the top half.
2 whole grain buns or rolls
- 15To serve, divide burgers and salad between plates and enjoy!