- 1 headbutter (Boston) lettuce
- 2 mediumcarrots
- ½ small bunchcilantro
- 1English cucumber
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 1jalapeño pepper
- 0.68 kgstriploin (New York strip) steak
- 4whole grain buns or rolls
-  black pepper
-  extra virgin olive oil
-  fish sauce
-  pure maple syrup
-  rice vinegar
- 1Peel and mince shallot. Peel and mince the garlic.
1 shallot 4 cloves garlic
- 2Add shallot, garlic, fish sauce, maple syrup, and pepper to a medium bowl; whisk together.
2 tbsp fish sauce 4 tsp pure maple syrup ½ tsp black pepper
- 3Cut the steak into 3-inch sections, then thinly slice each section against the grain into ¼-inch strips; add to the bowl with the marinade. Turn to coat and set aside to marinate.
0.68 kg striploin (New York strip) steak
- 4Wash and dry the fresh produce.
2 medium carrots 1 English cucumber 1 jalapeño pepper ½ small bunch cilantro 1 head butter (Boston) lettuce
- 5Trim off and discard the ends of the carrots and cucumber. Using a julienne (or regular) peeler, peel the carrots and cucumber into thin noodle-like sticks. Transfer the carrots to a medium saucepan and the cucumber to a large bowl.
- 6Thinly slice the jalapeño into rounds; add to the saucepan with the carrots. (Be careful, with jalapeños, do not touch your eyes and ensure you wash your hands after handling or wear gloves while preparing).
- 7Add vinegar, maple syrup, and salt to the saucepan with carrots and jalapeño. Bring to a boil over high heat; immediately remove from heat, stir in 4 ice cubes (or ½ cup water) and set aside to cool.
½ cup rice vinegar 4 tsp pure maple syrup 1 tsp salt
- 8Heat a grill pan (or skillet) over medium-high heat.
- 9Halve the lettuce head lengthwise, then chop crosswise into thick, bite-sized, pieces; set aside.
- 10Coat grill with oil. Working in batches, place steak on the grill and cook until desired doneness, about 1½ minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil.
4 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 11Slice rolls in half. Place on grill, cut side down, and toast until browned, about 2 minutes. Alternatively, you can toast the rolls in a toaster.
4 whole grain buns or rolls
- 12Shave the cilantro leaves off the stems; discard the stems. Add cilantro to the bowl with the cucumber. Reserving the pickling liquid, remove carrots and jalapeño from the saucepan using tongs or a fork, and add them to the bowl; toss to combine.
- 13To assemble the sandwiches, spread mayonnaise on bottom slices of rolls; top with steak, some of the pickled carrots, cucumber, jalapeño, and cilantro. Close sandwiches with tops of the rolls.
¼ cup mayonnaise
- 14Add lettuce to the bowl with carrots, cucumber, jalapeño, and cilantro; drizzle with ⅓ cup of the reserved pickling liquid, and toss to coat.
- 15To serve, divide salad and sandwiches between plates. Enjoy!