- ½ headbutter (Boston) lettuce
- 1 mediumcarrot
- ¼ small bunchcilantro
- ½English cucumber
- 2 clovesgarlic
- ½jalapeño pepper
- ¾ lbstriploin (New York strip) steak
- 2whole grain buns or rolls
-  black pepper
-  extra virgin olive oil
-  fish sauce
-  pure maple syrup
-  rice vinegar
- 1Peel and mince shallot. Peel and mince the garlic.
½ shallot 2 cloves garlic
- 2Add shallot, garlic, fish sauce, maple syrup, and pepper to a small bowl; whisk together.
1 tbsp fish sauce 2 tsp pure maple syrup ¼ tsp black pepper
- 3Cut the steak into 3-inch sections, then thinly slice each section against the grain into ¼-inch strips; add to the bowl with the marinade. Turn to coat and set aside to marinate.
¾ lb striploin (New York strip) steak
- 4Wash and dry the fresh produce.
1 medium carrot ½ English cucumber ½ jalapeño pepper ¼ small bunch cilantro ½ head butter (Boston) lettuce
- 5Trim off and discard the ends of the carrot and cucumber. Using a julienne (or regular) peeler, peel the carrot and cucumber into thin noodle-like sticks. Transfer the carrot to a small saucepan and the cucumber to a medium bowl.
- 6Thinly slice the jalapeño into rounds; add to the saucepan with the carrot. (Be careful, with jalapeños, do not touch your eyes and ensure you wash your hands after handling or wear gloves while preparing).
- 7Add vinegar, maple syrup, and salt to the saucepan with carrot and jalapeño. Bring to a boil over high heat; immediately remove from heat, stir in 2 ice cubes (or ¼ cup water) and set aside to cool.
¼ cup rice vinegar 2 tsp pure maple syrup ½ tsp salt
- 8Heat a grill pan (or skillet) over medium-high heat.
- 9Halve the lettuce head lengthwise, then chop crosswise into thick, bite-sized, pieces; set aside.
- 10Coat grill with oil. Then place steak on the grill and cook until desired doneness, about 1½ minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to a plate and loosely cover with foil.
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 11Slice rolls in half. Place on grill, cut side down, and toast until browned, about 2 minutes. Alternatively, you can toast the rolls in a toaster.
2 whole grain buns or rolls
- 12Shave the cilantro leaves off the stems; discard the stems. Add cilantro to the bowl with the cucumber. Reserving the pickling liquid, remove carrot and jalapeño from the saucepan using tongs or a fork, and add them to the bowl; toss to combine.
- 13To assemble the sandwiches, spread mayonnaise on bottom slices of rolls; top with steak, some of the pickled carrot, cucumber, jalapeño, and cilantro. Close sandwiches with tops of the rolls.
2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 14Add lettuce to the bowl with carrot, cucumber, jalapeño, and cilantro; drizzle with 2-3 tbsp of the reserved pickling liquid, and toss to coat.
- 15To serve, divide salad and sandwiches between plates. Enjoy!