- 2 mediumcarrots
- 28 fl ozchicken or vegetable broth
- 1 small pkgfresh thyme
- 1 cupfrozen peas
- 2 clovesgarlic
- 1 ½ cupsgreen lentils
- ½ lbwhite mushrooms
- 1 mediumyellow onion
- 4 mediumyellow potatoes
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
- 1Wash and dry the fresh produce.
4 medium yellow potatoes 2 medium carrots ½ lb white mushrooms 1 small pkg fresh thyme
- 2Peel and quarter the potatoes; transfer to a small saucepan.
- 3Cover the potatoes with hot water (from the tap); bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4Peel the carrots, then trim off the ends; discard the peels and trimmings. Small dice the carrots (cut into ¼-inch cubes) and transfer to a medium bowl.
- 5Trim off and discard the ends of the onion and remove the outer layer; small dice the onion (cut into ¼-inch pieces) and add to the carrots.
1 medium yellow onion
- 6Preheat a sauté pan over medium heat.
- 7Trim off and discard the root ends of the garlic; peel and mince or press the garlic. Add to the carrots and onion.
2 cloves garlic
- 8Once the pan is hot, add butter and swirl to coat the bottom.
1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 9Add the carrots, onion, and garlic to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 10Once the water in the saucepan is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Once done, drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan; cover to keep warm.
- 11Trim off and discard the stem ends of the mushrooms; small dice the mushrooms (cut into ¼-inch cubes).
- 12Add the mushrooms to the pan; cook, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, 2 to 3 minutes.
- 13Rinse the lentils in a colander or strainer.
1 ½ cups green lentils
- 14Add the rinsed lentils and broth to the pan; season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover with a lid, and cook until the lentils are just tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
24 fl oz (3 cups) chicken or vegetable broth 1 tsp salt ½ tsp black pepper
- 15One by one, holding a sprig of thyme at its top, run your fingers down it to remove the leaves. Discard the sprigs and chop the leaves. Stir about ¾ of the thyme into the lentil mixture and save the rest for garnishing.
- 16Once the lentils are tender, stir in the green peas.
1 cup frozen peas
- 17Add butter, broth, salt, and pepper to the potatoes; mash with a potato masher until smooth.
4 tbsp butter, unsalted 4 fl oz (½ cup) chicken or vegetable broth ½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 18To serve, divide the lentil mixture between plates or bowls, top with the mashed potatoes, and sprinkle with the remaining thyme leaves. Enjoy!