- 2 mediumcarrots
- 2 stickscelery
- ½ (8 oz) blockcheddar cheese
- 16 fl ozchicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cansdiced tomatoes
- 1 small pkgfresh basil
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 8 sliceswhole grain bread
- 1 mediumyellow onion
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
-  extra virgin olive oil
- 1Remove butter from fridge and allow to soften in the microwave or on the counter.
4 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 2Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 3Peel and small dice onion. Peel and mince garlic.
1 medium yellow onion 4 cloves garlic
- 4Coat bottom of saucepan with oil. Add onion and garlic; begin cooking while you chop the carrot and celery.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 5Wash and thinly slice carrots and celery; add to saucepan. Stirring occasionally, cook until carrots and celery have softened, 6-7 minutes.
2 medium carrots 2 sticks celery
- 6Wash and medium dice tomatoes.
- 7Wash basil. Pick leaves off the stems; discard the stems and thinly slice the leaves into ribbons.
1 small pkg fresh basil
- 8Add fresh and canned tomatoes, broth, salt, and pepper to saucepan. Stir and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for about 10 minutes.
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes 16 fl oz (2 cups) chicken or vegetable broth 1 tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 9Heat a skillet over medium-low heat.
- 10Grate 1 cup of cheddar.
½ (8 oz) block cheddar cheese
- 11Spread butter onto 1 side of each bread slice and place buttered-side down on a flat surface.
8 slices whole grain bread
- 12Divide cheddar between 4 of the bread slices and top with the other slices. Place in the skillet and gently press down with a spatula. Cook until cheese is melted and bread is golden brown, 2-4 minutes per side.
- 13Add basil to the soup and stir. Purée soup until smooth using a hand or regular blender.
- 14Pour soup into a bowl and service with grilled cheese on the side. Enjoy!