- 4 mediumcarrots
- 2 stickscelery
- 8 fl ozchicken or vegetable broth
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 2 (1 inch) piecesginger root
- 1 small bunchgreen onions (scallions)
- 1 medium headnapa cabbage
- 1 ½ lbraw peeled shrimp, fresh or frozen
- 2red bell peppers
-  black pepper
-  brown sugar
-  extra virgin olive oil
-  fish sauce
-  flat rice (pad thai) noodles
-  soy sauce
- 1If using frozen shrimp, place them in a colander and run under cold water to thaw them slightly and remove any ice crystals. (If using fresh shrimp, skip this step.) Place the shrimp on a clean towel or paper towels and pat dry.
1 ½ lb raw peeled shrimp, fresh or frozen
- 2Fill a medium saucepan halfway with water and bring to a boil. Remove from heat and add rice noodles. Soak for 10 minutes or according to package directions. Then drain in a colander and rinse.
10 oz flat rice (pad thai) noodles
- 3Wash and dry the fresh produce.
4 medium carrots 2 red bell peppers 2 sticks celery 1 small bunch green onions (scallions) 2 (1 inch) pieces ginger root 1 medium head napa cabbage 2 limes 2 oranges
- 4Peel the carrots; then using the peeler, run it along the carrot to make long, noodle-like strips. Seed and slice bell peppers into thin strips. Trim ends of celery and slice into small pieces. Transfer all to a large bowl.
- 5Trim off and discard the ends of the green onions; cut the onions crosswise into small pieces. Add half of the onions to the bowl with the sliced vegetables (reserving the rest for garnish).
- 6Peel and mince or grate the ginger. Peel and mince the garlic.
4 cloves garlic
- 7Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- 8Once the pot is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 9Add the sliced vegetables, ginger, garlic, and black pepper to the pot. Sauté until soft, 5-6 minutes.
¼ tsp black pepper
- 10Trim off and discard the root end of the cabbage; halve the cabbage lengthwise, then thinly slice crosswise.
- 11Add the cabbage to the pot. Cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage softens, 3-4 minutes.
- 12Add the shrimp to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes.
- 13Juice the limes into a small bowl. Add the cornstarch and whisk together.
2 tbsp cornstarch
- 14Juice the oranges into the pot; add broth, sugar, soy sauce, and fish sauce. Bring to a boil over high heat, then stir in the cornstarch mixture. Reduce heat to low, add rice noodles, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 2-3 minutes.
8 fl oz (1 cup) chicken or vegetable broth ¼ cup brown sugar ¼ cup soy sauce 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 15Divide between bowls, garnish with remaining green onion, and enjoy!