- 2 cupsbasmati rice
- 1 ½ lbchicken thighs, boneless skinless
- ½ small bunchcilantro
- 2 (14.5 oz) cansdiced tomatoes
- 1 cupfrozen peas
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 2 (1 inch) piecesginger root
- 2 tbsptomato paste
- 1 mediumyellow onion
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
-  virgin coconut oil
- 1Using a strainer or colander, rinse the rice under cold, running water, then drain and transfer to a medium saucepan. Season the rice with salt and add water; bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
2 cups basmati rice 1 tsp salt 4 cup water
- 2Pat the chicken dry with paper towel, cut into bite-sized (1-inch) pieces, and set aside.
1 ½ lb chicken thighs, boneless skinless
- 3Once the water for the rice is boiling, reduce the heat to low, stir, and cover. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, 15 to 18 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the rice stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, mix spices in a small bowl.
2 tsp cumin 2 tsp coriander 2 tsp black pepper 1 tbsp cinnamon ½ tsp salt
- 5Peel and small dice onion. Peel and mince garlic.
1 medium yellow onion 4 cloves garlic
- 6Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- 7Wash, peel, and mince or grate ginger.
2 (1 inch) pieces ginger root
- 8Once the skillet is hot, add oil and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the onions and cook, stirring constantly, until onions are softened, 3 to 4 minutes.
4 tsp virgin coconut oil
- 9Add ginger, garlic, and spices to the onions and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- 10Add butter, chicken, diced tomatoes, and tomato paste. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, 5 minutes.
2 tsp butter, unsalted 2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 11Wash and dry cilantro. Shave leaves off the stems; discard the stems and mince the leaves.
½ small bunch cilantro
- 12Using a strainer or colander, rinse the frozen peas under running water, then drain. Add peas to the butter chicken, stir, and remove from heat.
1 cup frozen peas
- 13To serve, divide rice and butter chicken between bowls; garnish with cilantro and enjoy!