- 1 ⅓ cupsbasmati rice
- 1 ½ lbchicken thighs, boneless skinless
- ½ small bunchcilantro
- 2 (14.5 oz) cansdiced tomatoes
- 1 cupfrozen peas
- 2 clovesgarlic
- 2 (1 inch) piecesginger root
- 4 fl ozheavy cream
- 1 mediumyellow onion
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
-  crushed red pepper
- 1Using a strainer or colander, rinse the rice under cold, running water, then drain and transfer to a medium saucepan. Season the rice with salt and add water; bring the mixture to a boil over high heat.
1 ⅓ cups basmati rice 1 tsp salt 2 ⅔ cup water
- 2Pat the chicken dry with paper towel, cut into bite-sized (1-inch) pieces, and set aside.
1 ½ lb chicken thighs, boneless skinless
- 3Once the water for the rice is boiling, reduce the heat to low, stir, and cover. Cook until the liquid is absorbed, 15-18 minutes. Remove from the heat and let the rice stand, covered, 5 minutes.
- 4Meanwhile, mix spices in a small bowl.
2 tsp cumin 2 tsp coriander 2 tsp cinnamon 2 tsp salt 1 tsp black pepper ¼ tsp crushed red pepper
- 5Using a clean cutting board, peel and small dice onion.
1 medium yellow onion
- 6Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- 7Once the skillet is hot, add butter and swirl to coat the bottom. Add the onions and cook, stirring often, until softened, 4-5 minutes.
4 tsp butter, unsalted
- 8Wash, peel, and mince or grate ginger. Peel and mince garlic.
2 (1 inch) pieces ginger root 2 cloves garlic
- 9Add ginger, garlic, and spices to the onions and cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, 30 seconds.
- 10Using a strainer or colander, drain the diced tomatoes, pressing with the back of a spoon to extract as much liquid as possible; discard liquid.
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes
- 11Add additional butter, chicken, diced tomatoes, and cream to the skillet. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until chicken is cooked through, 7-9 minutes.
4 tsp butter, unsalted 4 fl oz (½ cup) heavy cream
- 12Meanwhile, wash and dry cilantro. Shave leaves off the stems; discard the stems and mince the leaves.
½ small bunch cilantro
- 13Using a strainer or colander, rinse the frozen peas under running water. Add peas to the butter chicken, stir, and remove from heat.
1 cup frozen peas
- 14To serve, divide rice and butter chicken between bowls; garnish with cilantro and enjoy!