- 48 fl ozchicken or vegetable broth
- 1 (8 oz) blockmozzarella cheese
- 2 ozParmesan cheese
- 8 sliceswhole grain bread
- 3 mediumyellow onions
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
-  soy sauce
-  Worcestershire sauce
- 1Preheat a large pot over medium heat.
- 2Peel and very thinly slice onions, using a mandoline slicer if desired.
3 medium yellow onions
- 3When the pot is warm, melt butter until foamy. Add onions to the pot and season with salt to help them release their moisture. Cook until tender, stirring occasionally, 4-5 minutes.
½ cup butter, unsalted ¼ tsp salt
- 4Add broth, water, soy sauce, Worcestershire, pepper, and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, 10-15 minutes.
48 fl oz (6 cups) chicken or vegetable broth 1 cup water 2 tbsp soy sauce 4 tsp Worcestershire sauce ½ tsp black pepper ¼ tsp thyme
- 5While soup is simmering, slice bread (if required) and grate cheese; set aside.
8 slices whole grain bread 1 (8 oz) block mozzarella cheese 2 oz Parmesan cheese
- 6Preheat oven to broil and position rack under the broiler.
- 7Divide soup into oven-safe bowls or ramekins, place bowls on a baking sheet pan. Top with bread slices and cheese.
- 8Place under broiler until cheese is golden brown, about 1 minute. Watch it carefully as it can burn easily.
- 9When the soup is brown and bubbly, carefully remove from oven using oven mitts and place bowls on a plate. Enjoy!