- 8 fl ozchicken or vegetable broth
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 2 buncheskale
- 1 ½ lbstriploin (New York strip) steak
- 4 mediumyellow potatoes
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
-  virgin coconut oil
- 1Wash and dry the fresh produce.
4 medium yellow potatoes 2 bunches kale
- 2Peel and quarter the potatoes; transfer to a medium saucepan.
- 3Cover the potatoes with hot water (from the tap); bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4Cut out and discard the center stems from the kale leaves; slice the leaves crosswise into ⅛-inch strips and transfer to a large bowl.
- 5Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 6While the skillet heats up, pat dry the steak with paper towels and place on a plate. Season the steak generously with salt and pepper on both sides.
1 ½ lb striploin (New York strip) steak 1 tsp salt ½ tsp black pepper
- 7Once the water in the saucepan is boiling, reduce the heat to medium and cook until the potatoes are tender when pierced with a knife, 15 to 20 minutes. Once done, drain the potatoes and return to the saucepan; cover to keep warm.
- 8Once the skillet is hot, add coconut oil and swirl to coat the bottom.
1 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- 9Carefully place the steak in the skillet; flipping every 15 to 30 seconds, cook the steak until desired doneness (5 to 7 minutes for medium-rare). (Use a thermometer or cut into the steak to check the doneness.) Once done, transfer the steak to a plate and let it rest for 5 to 10 minutes.
- 10While the steak cooks, trim off and discard the root ends of the garlic; peel and mince or press the garlic.
4 cloves garlic
- 11Once the steak has been transferred, reduce the heat to medium. Add the garlic and kale; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the kale is wilted, 3 to 4 minutes.
½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 12Add butter, broth, salt, and pepper to the potatoes; mash with a potato masher until smooth.
4 tbsp butter, unsalted 8 fl oz (1 cup) chicken or vegetable broth ½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 13Add the kale to the saucepan and mash with the potatoes.
- 14To serve, divide the colcannon and steak between plates. Enjoy!