- 1 small pkgfresh basil
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 1 ½ lblean ground beef
- 8 ozrotini pasta
- 2 tbsptomato paste
- 2 (8 oz) canstomato sauce
-  black pepper
-  crushed red pepper
- 1Fill a large pot about halfway with hot water (from the tap); cover with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat.
- 2Wash and dry the fresh produce.
2 eggplants 1 small pkg fresh basil
- 3Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- 4While the skillet heats up, trim off and discard the ends of the eggplants; medium dice the eggplants into ½-inch cubes and transfer to a bowl.
- 5Once the skillet is hot, add the ground beef; cook, breaking apart with a spoon, until browned and crumbly, 3 to 4 minutes. Once done, transfer to a bowl, leaving the juices in the saucepan.
1 ½ lb lean ground beef
- 6When the water in the pot comes to a boil, uncover the pot and season the water with salt, then add the pasta and stir for a few seconds. Cook the pasta, uncovered, for 11 to 12 minutes (or according to package directions). Drain the pasta in a colander, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
2 tbsp salt 8 oz (about 3 cups) rotini pasta
- 7Once the beef has been transferred, add the eggplant to the skillet; cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
- 8While the eggplant cooks, trim off and discard the root ends of the garlic; peel and mince or press the garlic.
4 cloves garlic
- 9Add the garlic, oregano, crushed red pepper, and tomato paste to the skillet; stir until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes.
½ tsp oregano ¼ tsp crushed red pepper 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 10Add the ground beef and tomato sauce to the skillet; season with salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer for 4 to 6 minutes.
2 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce 1 tsp salt ½ tsp black pepper
- 11Pick the basil leaves off the stems; discard the stems and roughly chop the leaves.
- 12Add the pasta, reserved cooking water, and about ¾ of the basil (save the rest for garnishing); stir until the ragu and pasta are well combined.
- 13To serve, divide the pasta between bowls and garnish with the remaining basil. Enjoy!