- 1 (8 oz) blockcheddar cheese
- 16 fl ozchicken or vegetable broth
- 2 (14.5 oz) cansdiced tomatoes
- 2Gala apples
- 4 clovesgarlic
- 8 sliceswhole grain bread
- 1 mediumyellow onion
-  black pepper
-  butter, unsalted
- 1Wash and dry the fresh produce.
2 Gala apples
- 2Quarter the apples lengthwise, then cut out the core and stem from each section. Cut 2 of the quarters lengthwise into thin wedges and transfer to a small bowl. Medium dice the other 2 quarters and transfer to a medium bowl.
- 3Trim off and discard the ends of the onion and remove the outer layer; small dice the onion (cut into ¼-inch pieces) and add to the bowl with the apples.
1 medium yellow onion
- 4Preheat a medium saucepan over medium heat.
- 5Trim off and discard the root ends of the garlic; peel and mince or press the garlic. Add to the bowl with the apples and onion.
4 cloves garlic
- 6Once the saucepan is hot, add butter and swirl to coat the bottom.
2 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 7Add the apples, onion, and garlic to the saucepan; season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the apples and onion are softened, 4 to 6 minutes.
1 tsp dried oregano ½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 8Coarsely grate 2 cups of cheddar.
1 (8 oz) block cheddar cheese
- 9Add the diced tomatoes and broth to the saucepan; season with additional salt and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer and cook for 8 to 10 minutes.
2 (14.5 oz) cans diced tomatoes 16 fl oz (2 cups) chicken or vegetable broth ½ tsp salt ¼ tsp black pepper
- 10Add butter to a nonstick skillet and heat over medium-low heat.
1 tbsp butter, unsalted
- 11Place the bread slices on a clean, dry work surface. Divide the apple slices and cheese between 4 of the bread slices, then top with the remaining bread slices.
8 slices whole grain bread
- 12Once melted, spread the butter around the skillet, then season the bottom of the skillet with salt.
¼ tsp salt
- 13Place the sandwiches in the skillet and cook until golden brown and crispy on the first side, 3 to 4 minutes. Then, add more butter and salt, and carefully flip the sandwiches; cook until golden brown on the other side and the cheese has melted, 3 to 4 minutes. Once done, transfer to a cutting board. Cook in batches if necessary.
1 tbsp butter, unsalted ¼ tsp salt
- 14Using a hand blender, purée the soup until smooth. Alternatively, use a potato masher to mash the tomatoes and apples (the soup will be chunkier).
- 15Cut the grilled cheese sandwiches in half diagonally.
- 16To serve, divide the soup between small bowls and serve with the grilled cheese on the side. Enjoy!